Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Toleration

Well...things are progressing a little. Last evening David told me he needed a break and was going to leave Grace with me while he walked to the local Pizza Hut to get us dinner.  I was super worried about him leaving Grace with me, but I know this has been hard on him too.  Grace cried for about 10 minutes but then I was able to distract her with some crayons and play dough. She started playing and then let me play too!!  She even gave me a bit of a smile. When David arrived with dinner, Grace sat in my lap and let me feed her...major progress!!  After dinner I was in the bathroom still trying to get everything organized and she decided to turn on the bath water...she was so proud of herself!  I decided it was the perfect time to try out a bath with her and she LOVED it!! She didn't want to get out once i was finished washing her.  

After that I thought we had turned a corner, but this morning when she woke up I told her good morning and she started crying.  She sat up and looked for David but he was in the shower.  She cried until he was finished. She didn't want me to dress her or have anything to do with getting her ready for breakfast.  Once we were at breakfast she did let me feed her. After breakfast we went to Walmart.  We were going to get a stroller but everything here is so expensive! An umbrella stroller is almost $60 in US currency! A friend let me borrow an Ergo, so I put grace in it and attached her to me...she wasn't happy but we did it. She only fussed for a few minutes and then went along for the ride. She did pretty well. Once back in the hotel we went to the room to play some more.  All in all it was a pretty good day.  David and I decided that Grace is only tolerating me at this point. She will play with me if I can entice her and will let me feed her, but that is all. She will only let David comfort her and will only come to me if no one else is around.  She usually stands around the corner from me and peeks around to stare at me but if I look at her she moves back....fun times! Hopefully each day will get better.

Thanks to everyone for you encouraging emails and posts..they really mean so much to me.  We were able to Skype with Ian and that has helped me a lot. Time seems to be ticking slowly here.  I have been down this road before with Ian's adoption, but the stares from all the locals are quite uncomfortable.  I am more than ready to get home! Tomorrow we go to visit the terra cotta warriors.. We are excited about seeing them...I hope 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Gaffney Family! Grace is beautiful! Melody Dowdy forwarded your blog to me and I am so glad she did! We have two girls adopted from China. Our first experience was much like yours, our daughter was a daddy's girl from the day they met. Hang in there! Sounds like you are encouraging her to allow you to help with meeting her needs which is the first step! Keep up the work and it will pay off! Praying for all of you and for smiling faces all around very soon! Feel free to email me with questions if you would like to. Our email is bnrdrafts@aol.com.
    Beth Drafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! As hard as it is, its a great sign that she was SO attached to her nanny. It will get better! Just keep being the primary person to provide her major needs. It will take several weeks but she will learn who mommy is :) Looking forward to seeing you all when you return!
    Jessica Niko

    ReplyDelete